The Maharashtra government on Wednesday cleared a proposal to rename residential areas within the state having caste-based names, PTI reported. the choice was made at a state Cabinet meeting.
Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray’s office said during a statement that the govt chose to rename the localities to take care of social harmony and national unity.
The CMO added that names like “Mahar-wada, Bouddh-wada, Mang-wada, Dhor-vasti, Brahman-wada and Mali-galli”, which pointed to the community that resided during a certain area, weren't suited to a progressive state like Maharashtra. The names ask Dalits, Dalit Buddhists, the community that handles dead animals, and gardeners, among others, the New Indian Express reported.
The government said that the localities will now get names like Samata Nagar, Bhim Nagar, Jyotinagar, Shahunagar and Kranti Nagar.
Maharashtra Social Justice Minister Dhananjay Munde said the move will cause a change within the mindset of individuals . “We want to abolish the class structure gradually,” he was quoted as saying by The New Indian Express. “Everyone has an equal right to measure with dignity. nobody should be discriminated on the idea of caste and religion.”
- Jill Biden’s Inauguration Day corsage was a part of sweet tradition started by husband Joe Biden
- PM Justin Trudeau Chief Spurns Nafta Challenge on Keystone XL
- First Lady to assist Reunite Migrant Children with Parents as Joe Biden Launches Task Force
- President Joe Biden to sign two executive orders to establish Gender Policy Council, Review Title IX policies
- US President Joe Biden to launch taskforce to reunite families separated at border
- Donald Trump to make first post-White House speech at rightwing summit, Highlights
- After acquittal, Trump says ‘our movement has only just begun to make America Great Again
- Federal Court dramatically increases fees for immigration courts